HOV3+ motorists (a driver and two or more additional passengers) can use I-77 Express for free when using a NC Quick Pass.
HOV3+ Occupancy Detection System
To provide the best service to customers, the I-77 Express occupancy detection system ensures customers are using the High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV3+) discount appropriately by verifying the occupancy of vehicles declaring HOV3+ status. Inaccurate or improper use of HOV3+ status can reduce toll lane capacity and unfairly increase tolls for other vehicles in the express lanes.
The occupancy detection system helps enforce HOV3+ discount rules and collection of tolls from travelers improperly claiming HOV3+ status to travel for free in the express lanes. The system uses cameras to verify the number of persons in the vehicle declaring HOV3+ status to ensure tolls are charged fairly for travel on I-77 Express. Facial images captured are redacted for privacy purposes. The occupancy detection system allows enhanced tolling accuracy in addition to law enforcement patrolling the corridor. To learn more, click HERE or visit FAQs.
Motorists may use I-77 Express for free in HOV3+ status after following one of the two options:
Option #1 – NC Quick Pass Switchable Transponder
- Have a properly-mounted NC Quick Pass switchable transponder in the vehicle
- Have switched the NC Quick Pass switchable transponder into HOV mode before entering the express lanes
- Have three or more occupants in the vehicle when using an NC Quick Pass switchable transponder in HOV mode
Option #2 – NC Quick Pass Decal/Non-switchable Transponders
- Have a properly-mounted NC Quick Pass decal/non-switchable transponder in the vehicle
- Have declared HOV3+ status using the NC Quick Pass app at least 15 minutes prior to entering I-77 Express
- Have three or more occupants in the vehicle after declaring HOV3+ status within the NC Quick Pass app
Tip: Drivers need to ensure their NC Quick Pass switchable transponders are in low occupancy vehicle (LOV) mode when using the express lanes without two or more passengers.